Skip to main content

Featured Post

2023 - The Year That Was

Places impact you for a variety of reasons. And the same place impacts different people in different ways. This is especially true when it comes to spiritual experiences, where every single person’s experience is unique. And personally, every spiritual experience is unique, the same person can have different deeply spiritual experiences at different places, at different times. This thought has emerged because of my own experiences over the years, but especially so this year, with different and unique experiences at various places I have visited recently. I began this year with a visit to Baroda (Vadodara) with friends. It was meant to be a relaxed trip, a touristy trip, with our sons. We enjoyed ourselves to the hilt, but the highlight of that trip was a visit to the Lakulisha temple at Pavagadh. It was the iconography of the temple that I connected with, and I spent a few hours simply lost in the details of the figures carved around the temple. There was an indefinable connect with

Tirupati Part 10 - The Zoo

A visit to Tirupati usually entails a hectic visit to temples and nothing more. This time, however, since we had so much time on our hands, we decided to take Samhith to some place where he could have fun too…… The first of these was the zoo. Yes, Tirupati has a zoo – the Sri Venkateswara Zoological Park, located about 12 Km from the Tirupati Railway station. The zoo is spread over 5500 acres, and to really enjoy it, one needs to spend the entire day there!


We took an auto from the Srinivasam Complex to the zoo, and were surprised to hear that we could tour the entire zoo in the auto itself. We were rather skeptical at first, but then agreed, since, after climbing the hill, we weren’t in the mood to exert ourselves just to see a few animals! But the zoo turned out to be a surprise – well maintained, with few cages, mostly moats keeping the animals segregated…. It is certainly one of the best zoos I have seen so far, and we had a wonderful time there….

I won’t waste time writing about the zoo and the animals we saw. The zoo has a wonderful website, which includes a virtual tour, so you can head over there and see all that it offers…. So, you can head over to http://www.svzoo.org/ for the details, and meanwhile, you can join me as I take you around the zoo through my photos

Macaques.....




Water Birds..... This, for once, was really clean and nice to see...






Deer..


I loved this board....


Black Buck...


Pheasants........









A Nilgai which ventured really close to us....


A majestic Sambhar which was busy trying to eat....


The Lions.....



More deer...


This is the only reasonably good pic I was able to take of the birds....


These star tortoises seemed to be happy in the birds' enclosure!


More big cats...




Baloo (Sloth Bear) didn't seem to want to get out of the rain!


Wild boar seemed cleaner than usual!


Crocodiles enjoyed their siesta...


An Emu...


A Gharial...


By the time we were through, we were too tired for words, in spite of being driven around in an auto. This is one place worth taking kids to...

Information:


Zoo timings:

Summer 8.00 AM to 6.00 PM
Winter 9.00 AM to 5.00 PM
Zoo remains closed for visitors on every Monday of the week.
Zoo remains open on Mondays too if it is a general holiday or a festive day.

Entry fee particulars:

Adult : Rupees 5/- per head(Indian currency)
Children(aged between 5 and 12): Rupees 2/-
Groups of school children : free entry.

Vehicle Charges (for driving inside)

Auto: Rs. 75
2 Wheelers: Rs. 50
4 Wheelers : Rs. 150
Golf carts are also available for riding inside, but there is a requirement of minimum 8 passengers. Per head charge is Rs. 60. 


Autos charge Rs. 250 for a visit to the Zoo, exclusive of the zoo entry charges. 
Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

  1. Looks very clean and the animals seem happy too!!
    Loved the pics, the tiger is majestic and also loved the turtles...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can imagine Samhith having a great time! What a variety of animals in one place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too loved the board with animals sending strong messages.
    There is a gleam in the eyes of the first tiger. I loved the star turtles too. they are an endangered species.Recently one was found near Ramanthapuram during the recent rains as it was searching for warm place to park itself, rescued.

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice post with good pictures...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow... Anu ji...!

    It's a nice experience eying these beautiful pics...really pleasant to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting... Tirupathi has a Zoo..this is a news to me too.. I have been avoiding Tirupathi for long because of the unpredictability of Dharshan timing and accommodation related issues.. I guess, I need to make a trip soon..So much to see, so near my place..Your Tirupathi posts are being good catalysts for me to plan a trip. Hope to revert with a post on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Arti: It is really clean.. thats what struck me at once... also theres so much space, theres lots of place for all the animals not to be completely restricted...

    @Mridula: oh yes, he loved every bit of it! and its one of the few zoos i have enjoyed visiting!

    @Chitra: It was a nice way to get the point across... and yes, this was the first tiger I have seen which looked at least wild!!! as to the tortoises,there were so many... from what i heard, many of the animals have been the ones rescued from circuses, or found like the one u mentioned..

    @Sai: thanks a lot, and welcome here!

    @Jitendra Jauhar: thanks so much! welcome to my space!

    @Sridharan: yes, i guess you should make a visit again. i agree with the unpredictability and that it makes us less interested in visiting, but somehow, this is one place i love visiting in spite of all that!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by. Please leave a comment for me so that I will know you have been here....

Popular posts from this blog

Gokarna Part II – The Five Lingams

We continued our Gokarna trip by visiting four other Shiva temples in the vicinity, all connected to the same story of Gokarna. The story of Gokarna mentions the Mahabaleshwara Lingam as the one brought from Kailas by Ravana, and kept at this place on the ground by Ganesha. (See my earlier post- Gokarna – Pilgrimage and Pleasure). However, the story does not end here. It is believed that, in his anger, Ravana flung aside the materials which covered the lingam- the casket, its lid, the string around the lingam, and the cloth covering it. All these items became lingams as soon as they touched the ground. These four lingams, along with the main Mahabaleshwara lingam are collectively called the ‘ Panchalingams’ . These are: Mahabaleshwara – the main lingam Sajjeshwar – the casket carrying the lingam. This temple is about 35 Kms from Karwar, and is a 2 hour drive from Gokarna. Dhareshwar – the string covering the lingam. This temple is on NH17, about 45 Kms south of Gokarna. Gunavanteshw

Rama Temple, Gokarna

To my right , the waves rush to the shore, eager to merge with the sand. To my left, the same waves crash against the rocks, their spray diverting my reverie as I ponder over the beauty of nature, and wonder what first brought people here. Was it this beauty that encouraged them to build a temple here, or was it the fresh, sweet spring water flowing from the hill here that made this place special? No matter what the reason, I am glad my auto driver brought me here. We are at the Rama temple in Gokarna, just a few minutes away from the Mahabaleshwara Temple, yet offering so different a perspective.

Pandharpur Yatra 2023

The first time I visited Pandharpur was back in 2007 . The names Vitthal and Pandharpur, were just names to me. I had heard of them, but that was about it. Seeing the lord standing on the brick, hands on his hips, was memorable, but more memorable was the sight that greeted us as we walked out of the main sanctum of the temple. In the mandap just outside were a group of devotees singing abhangs , and dancing. This was the first time I had heard abhangs , and even almost 15 years later, I can remember the welling of feeling within me, listening to the songs, and how fascinated I was by the sight of the devotees dancing, lost in their love of the Lord. Over the years, as I have read more about Vitthal, and participated in Ashadi Ekadashi programmes at Puttaparthi, that first experience has stayed clear in my mind and heart. Every time I tell my Balvikas students of the saints who sang of Vitthala, it is that experience that I re-live. I visited Pandharpur again, in 2010, but that experie