Skip to main content

Featured Post

2023 - The Year That Was

Places impact you for a variety of reasons. And the same place impacts different people in different ways. This is especially true when it comes to spiritual experiences, where every single person’s experience is unique. And personally, every spiritual experience is unique, the same person can have different deeply spiritual experiences at different places, at different times. This thought has emerged because of my own experiences over the years, but especially so this year, with different and unique experiences at various places I have visited recently. I began this year with a visit to Baroda (Vadodara) with friends. It was meant to be a relaxed trip, a touristy trip, with our sons. We enjoyed ourselves to the hilt, but the highlight of that trip was a visit to the Lakulisha temple at Pavagadh. It was the iconography of the temple that I connected with, and I spent a few hours simply lost in the details of the figures carved around the temple. There was an indefinable connect with

Tirupati Part 3 - The Museum - a surprise!

On my (almost) dozen visits to Tirumala, I have passed by the museum countless number of times. It happens to be located very near the hotel where we go to eat, and I always wondered if it was worth a visit. This time, we had plenty of time on our hands, and since it was pouring, we thought it would be a good idea to visit the museum. For one thing, we would be indoors and sheltered from the rain, and if it wasn’t all that interesting, we could sit down and rest our weary legs. As it turned out, we spent almost 3 hours at the museum, we didn’t even sit for a minute, our legs were wearier then ever by the time we came out, and yes, the rain had stopped too!


Unfortunately, cameras aren’t allowed inside the museum, a fact I knew already, and thoughtfully left it behind in the room. So no pics, just my descriptions! The pic of the museum provided is from the net, not my own.




Overall, if I were to describe the museum, there is nothing I can pinpoint as unique. It is full of artifacts, rare or not I am not in a position to say. There are sculptures, most of them broken, found in the vicinity, at the temple as well in the surrounding areas. Some of them are interesting archaeologically, and some are just beautiful. There are umpteen idols of Lord Vishnu, and one can see the changes in the styles over centuries. While some are rough and coarsely carved, some are so elaborate and delicate that I could scarcely tear my eyes away.

There are separate sections for the sculptures, wooden doors, arches, and such relics of the ancient temple, as well as photographs. There are old photos of the hills showing the different temples and places of interest, and there are replicas of bronzes which are still inside the temple, and there are pages and pages of information on the history of the temple and all the kings who patronized it.There were beautiful items which had been presented by various kings and were once used at the temple, among which I especially liked a palanquin made almost entirely of ivory – it wasn’t the ivory that made it beautiful – it was the entire Ramayana and Bhagavatham which were carved into the sides which made it absolutely peerless! It was fascinating; to say the least, and even Samhith came along without complaining, frequently going on ahead and then calling out “Amma, Amma, come here! See this!”

But if you ask what I shall remember from all the interesting things we saw, I would say – the models of the temple! There are plenty of models of the temple in the museum, from tiny ones to huge ones, and there is also a model of the seven hills and the climbing path. Both, Samhith and I were so captivated by the simplicity with which the temple models had been made that we have decided to try it out for ourselves. So now you know what you are going to see for Navaratri next year! We have even brought back a miniature model of the temple’s gold covered gopuram (which is available at all shops) and a small figure of Lord Venkateswara to keep inside.

However, there is something else the museum opened up to me. There are references to the legends of the temple, and an attempt to explain them from the view point of history, as well of science, which is rather interesting, considering that temples usually try to keep science and rationalism as far away as possible to avoid confrontations!

The first thing which drew my attention was the figure of Varaha moorthy – or Varahaswamy – the third incarnation of Lord Vishnu, in the form of a wild boar. 


Immediate source: http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/...Image via Wikipedia


Legend tells us that Varaha brought the land out of the sea where it had submerged, and hence this land belongs to him. The placard placed here had an interesting point to make – from what we know of ancient geography, and from geological studies, the Eastern Ghats (of which these hills are a part), are older than the Western Ghats, and are believed to have originated at the time when the supercontinent of Rodinia is believed to have disintegrated and the supercontinent of Gondwana formed. The collision of two huge masses of land is said to have pushed the land from under the ocean to rise up and form these huge mountain ranges. Now compare this to the story of Varaha – bringing up the earth from the bowels of the sea, and it appears like someone trying to explain a geological event, which few understand, in terms of mythology, which everyone accepts easily! The placard was the first glimpse I had of the TTD (or at least someone there) trying to give some rational explanation of the legends, something I really appreciated.

This was just the beginning, for I found more interesting things as I went along… for which you have to read my next post!




Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

  1. Good to hear that you enjoyed the museum. I was once reading data regarding tourism and Tirupati gets more visitors than Taj Mahal, domestic and foreign combined.

    Do they let foreigners in?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting... I have never been there. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neat and clear explanation. Even I haven't gone inside this museum but I do have a photograph.May be on next visit, if time permits I would visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful ,next will sure visit the museum .

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Mridula: oh yes, I heard that too... and thats because its a major pilgrim place for a huge number of people... as to foreigners, no idea! thinking back, i have never seen foreigners in the temple itself, though there are plenty at the foothills! shall check it out.

    @Indrani: At first, I wasnt really impressed,.. and then as I went on and on, it was wonderful! u should go sometime

    @Chitra: thanks...yes, you should visit it next time. its worth it!

    @Team G Square: thanks....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tirupati and Tirumala are places well known all over India. Sri Venkateshwara, the presiding deity of Tirumalaor engadam, is revered by lakhs of people all over the country who visit His famous temple throughout the year, traveling long distances. South India tour packages

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its a great blog which covers everything about
    Tirupati, please keep updating it regularly!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by. Please leave a comment for me so that I will know you have been here....

Popular posts from this blog

Gokarna Part II – The Five Lingams

We continued our Gokarna trip by visiting four other Shiva temples in the vicinity, all connected to the same story of Gokarna. The story of Gokarna mentions the Mahabaleshwara Lingam as the one brought from Kailas by Ravana, and kept at this place on the ground by Ganesha. (See my earlier post- Gokarna – Pilgrimage and Pleasure). However, the story does not end here. It is believed that, in his anger, Ravana flung aside the materials which covered the lingam- the casket, its lid, the string around the lingam, and the cloth covering it. All these items became lingams as soon as they touched the ground. These four lingams, along with the main Mahabaleshwara lingam are collectively called the ‘ Panchalingams’ . These are: Mahabaleshwara – the main lingam Sajjeshwar – the casket carrying the lingam. This temple is about 35 Kms from Karwar, and is a 2 hour drive from Gokarna. Dhareshwar – the string covering the lingam. This temple is on NH17, about 45 Kms south of Gokarna. Gunavanteshw

Rama Temple, Gokarna

To my right , the waves rush to the shore, eager to merge with the sand. To my left, the same waves crash against the rocks, their spray diverting my reverie as I ponder over the beauty of nature, and wonder what first brought people here. Was it this beauty that encouraged them to build a temple here, or was it the fresh, sweet spring water flowing from the hill here that made this place special? No matter what the reason, I am glad my auto driver brought me here. We are at the Rama temple in Gokarna, just a few minutes away from the Mahabaleshwara Temple, yet offering so different a perspective.

Pandharpur Yatra 2023

The first time I visited Pandharpur was back in 2007 . The names Vitthal and Pandharpur, were just names to me. I had heard of them, but that was about it. Seeing the lord standing on the brick, hands on his hips, was memorable, but more memorable was the sight that greeted us as we walked out of the main sanctum of the temple. In the mandap just outside were a group of devotees singing abhangs , and dancing. This was the first time I had heard abhangs , and even almost 15 years later, I can remember the welling of feeling within me, listening to the songs, and how fascinated I was by the sight of the devotees dancing, lost in their love of the Lord. Over the years, as I have read more about Vitthal, and participated in Ashadi Ekadashi programmes at Puttaparthi, that first experience has stayed clear in my mind and heart. Every time I tell my Balvikas students of the saints who sang of Vitthala, it is that experience that I re-live. I visited Pandharpur again, in 2010, but that experie