Skip to main content

Featured Post

2023 - The Year That Was

Places impact you for a variety of reasons. And the same place impacts different people in different ways. This is especially true when it comes to spiritual experiences, where every single person’s experience is unique. And personally, every spiritual experience is unique, the same person can have different deeply spiritual experiences at different places, at different times. This thought has emerged because of my own experiences over the years, but especially so this year, with different and unique experiences at various places I have visited recently. I began this year with a visit to Baroda (Vadodara) with friends. It was meant to be a relaxed trip, a touristy trip, with our sons. We enjoyed ourselves to the hilt, but the highlight of that trip was a visit to the Lakulisha temple at Pavagadh. It was the iconography of the temple that I connected with, and I spent a few hours simply lost in the details of the figures carved around the temple. There was an indefinable connect with

Lavasa Trip Part 4 - Food memories


Those of you who read my blog regularly know that I am by no means a foodie….. I hate to experiment with food, and prefer to stick with my good old thayir saadam,(curd rice) any day. Usually, when I travel, it is Shankar who tries out different things on the menu and I order what Samhith wants, and then fill my stomach from what I like among the selections. Thrown along with a bunch of foodies at Lavasa – all of them non-vegetarians – was therefore a really interesting experience.


The Waterfront Promenade



The Waterfront Shaw was certainly the best place to put up, food-wise, since there was so much on offer. From Subway to All American Diner, Oriental Octopus to Chor Bizarre, there was every kind of cuisine available. Our foray into the Oriental Octopus was a disaster (You can read more about that here, and here) and the All American Diner experience was a mixed one. Read about the experience here and here.


The breakfast was wonderful, with a lot of options on the buffet, but lunch for me was a light one, since we had to leave almost at once, and I didn’t want to risk throwing up. (However, as it turned out, I did throw up, and not alone either
J)

This breakfast spread at the American Diner reminded me of Samhith. He would have loved it!


And we had fun photographing some of the posters put up all over…..




Dinner at Chor Bizzare was wonderful! Being me, I am, of course, not going to talk about the food (which was great) but the interesting things we saw there! In fact, I think we stunned the staff when not one of us proceeded to our table, but instead took photographs of every knick knack in sight!




Antiques placed on the mantels...each one reminded me of something!

Samhith hasnt even seen a sewing machine like this one!

Converting a four poster bed into a table for six was surely the work of a genius!!!

these lamps were too beautiful for words..

and I startled a waiter while taking a photo of this door handle!

When I told Samhith that this was a transistor/ radio, he asked, "What is a radio?"

My dad had a suitcase exactly like this one! and it was filled with books too!!!

This tea set made me wish I was having tea from it!



In between lunch and dinner we even managed to get some desserts into our stomachs, at Granma’s Homemade!



This Cinnamon bun was wonderful!!!

The other shops on the promenade were interesting too…. Especially their names, though none were open for us to try!



For me, the best food experience was none of these, but the humble potato chips in a new avatar, at a tiny stall on the promenade!



Named Potato Twistz or simply Chipstix, these were, basically, just potato chips on sticks!!!

He held up the ChipStix for us to photograph, but seems embarrassed by all the attention!!!

I couldn't resist taking photos from every possible angle!


We first saw it in the hands of a fellow tourist, and, overcome by typical blogger curiosity, Nisha went off to find out what it was. We were directed to the stall, and, after a lot of discussion, finally bought one to try out. Read about the episode here.

I loved the way the potato was cut into the spiral shape in the machine, and enthusiastically recorded a video. Take a look!


While I took all these photos, I wondered how and when I would post these, since food does not normally feature on my blog, but having taken so many photographs, I couldn’t leave them alone either. As to the title of the post, well, I do know that it is misleading, but then I couldn’t think of anything else, since this one did deal with food (in its own way), right?

I am not done with Lavasa yet. There is more coming up, so keep coming back!

Meanwhile, you can read what my co-bloggers wrote about the trip…..


  • Nisha's articles





  • Ideamithy's articles





  • Kiran's articles





  • Pushpa's articles





  • Sakshi's articles 




  • Enhanced by Zemanta

    Comments

    1. WOWWW .. LOVEd the pic, esp the antique cars and the chipstix... :-))
      I wanna go to Lavasa now

      ReplyDelete
    2. Recently, I had taken my relatives to Lavasa. My relatives enjoyed the ambience. They described it as serene and tranquil. They also enjoyed the roads as the ride to Lavasa was amazing.

      ReplyDelete
    3. I love Lavasa because of their Votex Splashpad. It is a source of fun and pleasurable moments for every member of the family. Must visit,

      ReplyDelete

    Post a Comment

    Thanks so much for stopping by. Please leave a comment for me so that I will know you have been here....

    Popular posts from this blog

    Gokarna Part II – The Five Lingams

    We continued our Gokarna trip by visiting four other Shiva temples in the vicinity, all connected to the same story of Gokarna. The story of Gokarna mentions the Mahabaleshwara Lingam as the one brought from Kailas by Ravana, and kept at this place on the ground by Ganesha. (See my earlier post- Gokarna – Pilgrimage and Pleasure). However, the story does not end here. It is believed that, in his anger, Ravana flung aside the materials which covered the lingam- the casket, its lid, the string around the lingam, and the cloth covering it. All these items became lingams as soon as they touched the ground. These four lingams, along with the main Mahabaleshwara lingam are collectively called the ‘ Panchalingams’ . These are: Mahabaleshwara – the main lingam Sajjeshwar – the casket carrying the lingam. This temple is about 35 Kms from Karwar, and is a 2 hour drive from Gokarna. Dhareshwar – the string covering the lingam. This temple is on NH17, about 45 Kms south of Gokarna. Gunavanteshw

    Rama Temple, Gokarna

    To my right , the waves rush to the shore, eager to merge with the sand. To my left, the same waves crash against the rocks, their spray diverting my reverie as I ponder over the beauty of nature, and wonder what first brought people here. Was it this beauty that encouraged them to build a temple here, or was it the fresh, sweet spring water flowing from the hill here that made this place special? No matter what the reason, I am glad my auto driver brought me here. We are at the Rama temple in Gokarna, just a few minutes away from the Mahabaleshwara Temple, yet offering so different a perspective.

    Pandharpur Yatra 2023

    The first time I visited Pandharpur was back in 2007 . The names Vitthal and Pandharpur, were just names to me. I had heard of them, but that was about it. Seeing the lord standing on the brick, hands on his hips, was memorable, but more memorable was the sight that greeted us as we walked out of the main sanctum of the temple. In the mandap just outside were a group of devotees singing abhangs , and dancing. This was the first time I had heard abhangs , and even almost 15 years later, I can remember the welling of feeling within me, listening to the songs, and how fascinated I was by the sight of the devotees dancing, lost in their love of the Lord. Over the years, as I have read more about Vitthal, and participated in Ashadi Ekadashi programmes at Puttaparthi, that first experience has stayed clear in my mind and heart. Every time I tell my Balvikas students of the saints who sang of Vitthala, it is that experience that I re-live. I visited Pandharpur again, in 2010, but that experie