Skip to main content

Featured Post

2023 - The Year That Was

Places impact you for a variety of reasons. And the same place impacts different people in different ways. This is especially true when it comes to spiritual experiences, where every single person’s experience is unique. And personally, every spiritual experience is unique, the same person can have different deeply spiritual experiences at different places, at different times. This thought has emerged because of my own experiences over the years, but especially so this year, with different and unique experiences at various places I have visited recently. I began this year with a visit to Baroda (Vadodara) with friends. It was meant to be a relaxed trip, a touristy trip, with our sons. We enjoyed ourselves to the hilt, but the highlight of that trip was a visit to the Lakulisha temple at Pavagadh. It was the iconography of the temple that I connected with, and I spent a few hours simply lost in the details of the figures carved around the temple. There was an indefinable connect with

Dwarakadhish Temple, Kalbadevi


Kalbadevi is an area well known for its wholesale steel market, but it is also an area which plays host to a huge number of temples. It is amazing to note that this small area in the heart of the commercial centre of Bombay has an eclectic mix of places of worship. While there are small and big temples galore dedicated to the Hindu Gods such as Shiva, Vishnu and myriad forms of the Devi, the area also houses two Zoroastrian fire temples, and the whole area is surrounded by mosques! And yes, of course, there are also a couple of churches nearby! Innately personifying the multi-cultural essence of Bombay, the area is a bustling hub of humanity at all and any time of the day!

Walking peacefully along any of the roads here is difficult once the shops open in the morning, and one tends to miss out many interesting things while keeping our eyes peeled on the traffic and trying not to bump into our fellow pedestrians. Add this to the fact that a visit to Kalbadevi generally involves buying vessels of all shapes and sizes for us, as well as our family and friends, and you can forget that this is also one of the oldest parts of Bombay, and one of the richest areas in terms of the history of this not-so-old city.

Sages depicted on the second level of the temple.... this is what drew my attention.


I had noticed this building on my many visits to Kalbadevi, but had no idea what it was. On my last visit, I managed to take a photograph (the one above) and wondered what it was. Was it the residence of some rich merchant, or was it a house of worship? Considering that the area mainly houses merchants, could it be a Jain temple? I finally turned to the internet to satisfy my curiosity, and after much, much searching, found a reference to a ‘monkey temple’! I was stunned! First, it didn’t look like a temple. Second, there were no monkeys around, and it couldn’t possibly be a Hanuman temple, so why was it called by such a name? A bit more searching brought forth the information that this was also called the ‘Dwarakadhish Temple’, or Sunderbagh. At last, this made some sense. With so many Gujarati merchants making their living here, this was surely a temple built by them. But a little more searching at last brought me to an article published in the Hindustan Times around two years back, which informed me that this was one of the oldest havelis in Bombay, dating back to 1875! The temple is dedicated to Lord Krishna in his form as Dwarakadhish – the Lord of Dwaraka, and is decorated on the front with monkeys, thus prompting the British to name it the ‘monkey temple’!


The front facade.. with Lord Krishna in his various forms and the monkeys which gave the temple their name too...

a closer look at one of the monkeys

The temple was built by Sunderdas (thus the name Sunderbagh), when his father, Thakar Mulji Jetha dreamt of an idol of Lord Krishna in his house, and found the idol in an old forgotten box under the stairs. The temple was built on a grand scale and decorated lavishly with murals and sculptures. I haven’t been inside yet, but to know more about it, read the article which appeared in HT here.
The side entrance... this has the temple name on it. I only saw it because I was looking for it!

A closer look at one of the Krishnas..


Bombay is full of such gems which aren’t really hidden, but which are forgotten in the hustle and bustle of our daily grind. This is just one of them, and one I intend to visit someday to take a closer look. If any of you have visited this temple, please do leave a comment.


Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

  1. I happened to visit this temple recently as a part of a project that I am working on. Your article was very helpful in my research! I managed to interview an old man whose office is situated right opposite the temple and he told me that this is the only replica of Dwarkadhish of Dwarka. It shuts at regular intervals, do visit sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to hear that, Rushikesh!! would love to know more about the temple, so keep me updated!!

      Delete
  2. I grew up a few minutes from this temple. Everyone in our house visits it every other day.
    It is very beautiful inside.
    The owner of this temple is the same as the owner of the cloth market behind, that is Mulji Jetha
    The sculpture you see outside is also inside but in various colours, not just brown and yellow as in inside. You should definitely visit it inside when you get a chance, especially in the evening.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by. Please leave a comment for me so that I will know you have been here....

Popular posts from this blog

Gokarna Part II – The Five Lingams

We continued our Gokarna trip by visiting four other Shiva temples in the vicinity, all connected to the same story of Gokarna. The story of Gokarna mentions the Mahabaleshwara Lingam as the one brought from Kailas by Ravana, and kept at this place on the ground by Ganesha. (See my earlier post- Gokarna – Pilgrimage and Pleasure). However, the story does not end here. It is believed that, in his anger, Ravana flung aside the materials which covered the lingam- the casket, its lid, the string around the lingam, and the cloth covering it. All these items became lingams as soon as they touched the ground. These four lingams, along with the main Mahabaleshwara lingam are collectively called the ‘ Panchalingams’ . These are: Mahabaleshwara – the main lingam Sajjeshwar – the casket carrying the lingam. This temple is about 35 Kms from Karwar, and is a 2 hour drive from Gokarna. Dhareshwar – the string covering the lingam. This temple is on NH17, about 45 Kms south of Gokarna. Gunavanteshw

Rama Temple, Gokarna

To my right , the waves rush to the shore, eager to merge with the sand. To my left, the same waves crash against the rocks, their spray diverting my reverie as I ponder over the beauty of nature, and wonder what first brought people here. Was it this beauty that encouraged them to build a temple here, or was it the fresh, sweet spring water flowing from the hill here that made this place special? No matter what the reason, I am glad my auto driver brought me here. We are at the Rama temple in Gokarna, just a few minutes away from the Mahabaleshwara Temple, yet offering so different a perspective.

Pandharpur Yatra 2023

The first time I visited Pandharpur was back in 2007 . The names Vitthal and Pandharpur, were just names to me. I had heard of them, but that was about it. Seeing the lord standing on the brick, hands on his hips, was memorable, but more memorable was the sight that greeted us as we walked out of the main sanctum of the temple. In the mandap just outside were a group of devotees singing abhangs , and dancing. This was the first time I had heard abhangs , and even almost 15 years later, I can remember the welling of feeling within me, listening to the songs, and how fascinated I was by the sight of the devotees dancing, lost in their love of the Lord. Over the years, as I have read more about Vitthal, and participated in Ashadi Ekadashi programmes at Puttaparthi, that first experience has stayed clear in my mind and heart. Every time I tell my Balvikas students of the saints who sang of Vitthala, it is that experience that I re-live. I visited Pandharpur again, in 2010, but that experie