Skip to main content

Featured Post

2023 - The Year That Was

Places impact you for a variety of reasons. And the same place impacts different people in different ways. This is especially true when it comes to spiritual experiences, where every single person’s experience is unique. And personally, every spiritual experience is unique, the same person can have different deeply spiritual experiences at different places, at different times. This thought has emerged because of my own experiences over the years, but especially so this year, with different and unique experiences at various places I have visited recently. I began this year with a visit to Baroda (Vadodara) with friends. It was meant to be a relaxed trip, a touristy trip, with our sons. We enjoyed ourselves to the hilt, but the highlight of that trip was a visit to the Lakulisha temple at Pavagadh. It was the iconography of the temple that I connected with, and I spent a few hours simply lost in the details of the figures carved around the temple. There was an indefinable connect with

Anegundi Part 4 - Prehistoric Cave Paintings


I first heard of prehistoric cave paintings at Anegundi through Lakshmi’s blog. It was especially interesting, since I was then planning a visit there, and decided to add it to my agenda. We had seen prehistoric cave paintings earlier at Lakhudiyar, on our trip to Binsar, and wondered what it would be like, here. As our rickshaw driver drove along the roads lined with hillocks on one side and fields on the other, I thought of the differences between the two places.  Lakhudiyar, though situated amidst the hills, was located among the only outcrop of boulders in the area, which had no foliage covering it. The rock overhanging the cave was shaped like the hood of a snake, and was distinctly visible, even from a distance, while here, there were boulders everywhere, and I couldn’t even begin to imagine which one of them had been the abode of our prehistoric ancestors!




When we finally stopped, it was right at the edge of a field, and I wondered for a minute if we had reached our destination or the driver had stopped to relieve himself! Seeing me hesitate, the driver asked me to get down, saying that we had reached. Shankar didn’t seem too impressed, and refused to join us on our quest, opting instead to spend some time in relative peace in the field without the non-stop chattering of Samhith and me!  



Leading us to a section of rocks bordering the field, the driver showed us a narrow path we had to take. The first thing I did was to keep my camera inside so that it would be safe while I clambered up. 


Samhith was in front of me, climbing up much more easily than I could, and the first thing he did on reaching up, was to stumble and fall! No, he didn’t get hurt, but he fell on his knees, right on some fresh cow dung, and that remains, for him, the highlight of the trip! (He still remembers the pant which got soiled, and avoids wearing it, even though it has been well washed a number of times since!) The next few minutes rushed by as I managed to clean him up with some grass and my kerchief, and then a passerby led him off to some water which had collected in a puddle nearby, so that he could clean himself. it was only then that I had time to look up and realize that we were standing in a clearing atop the boulders we had seen on the road – it was a sort of a plateau, hidden by the boulders, but with many more scattered here and there. It seemed the kind of place our ancestors would have come to, looking for safety.



As the wind disturbed the dried grasses, some of which grew as high as my knees, I wondered what life would have been like for those we call ‘prehistoric man’. Would they have been safe from the predators here? If cows could manage to find their way up through the narrow passage today, wouldn’t tigers have been able to come up here then? How did they find this clearing in the first place? And how did they lead their lives? It was impossible not to imagine our ancestors moving around among these rocks, which were probably as old as time itself!



Once Samhith was clean enough, we moved to see the paintings. We weren’t the only ones, but we were the only Indians around. There were a group of people from France, with a French-speaking guide who kept talking about the paintings. Unfortunately, he spoke too fast for me to follow, and our driver knew little about them. He said few Indians wanted to come here, so he rarely brought anyone, unless of course, they asked! I contented myself with taking as many pics as I could. The paintings were spread over the entire clearing, with three sets quite clear…


One had this drawing of a snake…..



While others had bulls, deer and other animals, including people….






The circular mark seen here is apparently a burial symbol…..



Here are some more pics….

   

As we were leaving, our driver called us to another section of the rock, where there were some marks about 3 feet in length. According to him, these were footprints – either of the prehistoric men (since this is obviously a prehistoric site), or, more probably, the footprints of the Gods (since they obviously would have lived here in prehistoric times). Samhith was all excited, wondering how tall the men would have been, if they had feet this huge! It was rather a pity to tell him that our driver probably had no idea what these were, and that they were nothing more than erosion marks, but then, who wants to hear such lame explanations? He remains convinced that our ancestors were about 10ft tall (at least!), and that they left their footprints at ONLY this place!




I am not an expert on these paintings… indeed, I know very little about them. For me, at least as of now, it’s more of an experience….a desire to visit these places where man first walked on earth. It makes me appreciate the small things in life, for we are so lucky, so privileged to have them. Imagine living like our ancestors, having to struggle for every meal, every piece of covering, even for a roof over the head, not to mention the dangers lurking around every corner! And yet they persevered, though it took centuries for things to change, for them to evolve! We complain about the state of things today, but how many of us are willing to work to make our dreams into reality. These places inspire me to work harder, for I know that change is inevitable, and just like the time changed for them, so will the time change for me!

For more information, read Lakshmi's post.
Related Articles:




Enhanced by Zemanta





























Comments

  1. Would you have any pointers to get here? GSP coordinates/ rough direction etc?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by. Please leave a comment for me so that I will know you have been here....

Popular posts from this blog

Gokarna Part II – The Five Lingams

We continued our Gokarna trip by visiting four other Shiva temples in the vicinity, all connected to the same story of Gokarna. The story of Gokarna mentions the Mahabaleshwara Lingam as the one brought from Kailas by Ravana, and kept at this place on the ground by Ganesha. (See my earlier post- Gokarna – Pilgrimage and Pleasure). However, the story does not end here. It is believed that, in his anger, Ravana flung aside the materials which covered the lingam- the casket, its lid, the string around the lingam, and the cloth covering it. All these items became lingams as soon as they touched the ground. These four lingams, along with the main Mahabaleshwara lingam are collectively called the ‘ Panchalingams’ . These are: Mahabaleshwara – the main lingam Sajjeshwar – the casket carrying the lingam. This temple is about 35 Kms from Karwar, and is a 2 hour drive from Gokarna. Dhareshwar – the string covering the lingam. This temple is on NH17, about 45 Kms south of Gokarna. Gunavanteshw

Rama Temple, Gokarna

To my right , the waves rush to the shore, eager to merge with the sand. To my left, the same waves crash against the rocks, their spray diverting my reverie as I ponder over the beauty of nature, and wonder what first brought people here. Was it this beauty that encouraged them to build a temple here, or was it the fresh, sweet spring water flowing from the hill here that made this place special? No matter what the reason, I am glad my auto driver brought me here. We are at the Rama temple in Gokarna, just a few minutes away from the Mahabaleshwara Temple, yet offering so different a perspective.

Pandharpur Yatra 2023

The first time I visited Pandharpur was back in 2007 . The names Vitthal and Pandharpur, were just names to me. I had heard of them, but that was about it. Seeing the lord standing on the brick, hands on his hips, was memorable, but more memorable was the sight that greeted us as we walked out of the main sanctum of the temple. In the mandap just outside were a group of devotees singing abhangs , and dancing. This was the first time I had heard abhangs , and even almost 15 years later, I can remember the welling of feeling within me, listening to the songs, and how fascinated I was by the sight of the devotees dancing, lost in their love of the Lord. Over the years, as I have read more about Vitthal, and participated in Ashadi Ekadashi programmes at Puttaparthi, that first experience has stayed clear in my mind and heart. Every time I tell my Balvikas students of the saints who sang of Vitthala, it is that experience that I re-live. I visited Pandharpur again, in 2010, but that experie