Skip to main content

Featured Post

2023 - The Year That Was

Places impact you for a variety of reasons. And the same place impacts different people in different ways. This is especially true when it comes to spiritual experiences, where every single person’s experience is unique. And personally, every spiritual experience is unique, the same person can have different deeply spiritual experiences at different places, at different times. This thought has emerged because of my own experiences over the years, but especially so this year, with different and unique experiences at various places I have visited recently. I began this year with a visit to Baroda (Vadodara) with friends. It was meant to be a relaxed trip, a touristy trip, with our sons. We enjoyed ourselves to the hilt, but the highlight of that trip was a visit to the Lakulisha temple at Pavagadh. It was the iconography of the temple that I connected with, and I spent a few hours simply lost in the details of the figures carved around the temple. There was an indefinable connect with

Storming Sewri Part 2 - The Sewri Fort





I first read about Sewri Fort in an article on the various forts in Mumbai. Every time I visited the Sewri Jetty to see the flamingos and other birds, I wondered where the fort was. A friend later told me that it was just off the road we took to reach the jetty. Unfortunately, ardent birdwatchers aren’t always heritage enthusiasts, and I never found company to go to the fort. Much as I love to explore, going into a deserted and ruined fort alone didn't seem the safest thing to do, and the fort remained on my wish list for all these years. When Travel-Logs announced their Sewri Walk, the one place I was keen to visit was the fort. Thankfully, the dates and timings were convenient for once, and I eagerly jumped on to the bandwagon!




The Sewri fort was built in 1680 by the British, on the island of Parel. The main purpose of this fort was to act as a watch tower, given its vantage position overlooking the eastern seaboard as well as the mainland. It was captured by the Siddis in 1689, and remained in their hands for a few years till the British managed to drive them away once again. The fort is said to have been instrumental in repelling an attack by the Portuguese in 1772. So much for history... now for what remains of it....



The fort is barely visible from the road. Newer buildings have come up in the vicinity... not just warehouses, but also residential buildings, which succeed in hiding this remnant of our history. If I had gone there alone, I would have wondered if there really was a fort here.

Can you see the fort? This is the view as seen from the road? 


Right at the entrance is a dargah, which is what draws crowds. We found ourselves there on an Urs day, and the place was teeming with people – pilgrims, loiterers, as well as policemen.





The fort has been ‘restored’, which seems to mean that almost everything has been covered with concrete. What I took to be the dome –like ceiling of the original structure is apparently an attempt to bolster the weight of the concrete used for reconstruction, something which is deeply disappointing.




In spite of all this, traces of the structure remain and help us imagine what it might have been like, in a day when the place was solely used as a look-out at a time when war could break out anytime!






It is obvious that this must have been a functional fort – there are no embellishments, no decorations. It’s simply a watchtower, with space for those assigned to it. Everywhere there are holes, probably used for cannons or rifles.





Though the fort is said to have been built in 1680, the date over the entrance says 1734.. or 1736, the variation coming from the way the last digit is inscribed...



And yet, there is something interesting about the design... the curves give it a completely different look from other forts I have seen. 






Its such a pity that we have a tendency to deface every wall we can see... and heritage walls, even those covered with concrete, seem to invite people to render themselves immortal by etching their names on it!




The staircases are interesting... most of them curved, but unfortunately, thanks to the renovation, only a few of them actually lead somewhere!




Also, so much work has been done that it is now almost impossible to distinguish the different renovations carried out in different eras. 




The best part of the fort is surely the view. On one side, you have an uninterrupted view of the sea... including the Gharapuri, or Elephanta Islands...


Unfortunately, while the view is great, it also shows us just how badly the mangroves have been maintained. 



And on the other side, the view extends over Sewri – Wadala. If it weren’t for the high rises, we could probably see even further.





While I was searching for information about the fort, I realised that Mumbai once had 11 forts in all, of which 8 still remain, though mostly in ruins. Three have been demolished over the years. There are few cities in the world which can boast of such heritage, but it is sad to think that we hardly appreciate it. How many of us even know the forts within our city? And how many of them have we seen? Here is a timeline of the various forts in Mumbai. The image is from Wikipedia. For more information on the forts, click here.



My desire to visit the Sewri fort has now been fulfilled, but it has evoked another desire now... to visit all the forts left in Mumbai... or at least the ones which are open to the general public. Now let’s see how I can make that wish come true! 


Comments

  1. Good to know Mumbai has so many forts. Terrific photoblog on Sewri Fort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you get to visit the other forts too! The neglect story gets repeated almost everywhere :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its such a pity to see the neglect, Mridula....and as you say, its everywhere, which just makes it worse.... but in spite of that,its still such a pleasure to visit them... hope i can visit all someday.

      Delete
  3. WoW, sadly i haven't come across many posts on such interesting sites in mumbai. Will visit here when i am in Mumbai next :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, there are so many interesting places in Mumbai, deej! but sad to say, even after all these years, i hardly know them at all! but next time you are here, let me know and maybe in showing you around, i can see a bit more too :D

      Delete
  4. Nice fort. You have described it well.

    http://rajniranjandas.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I was not aware Mumbai has a fort, too! Great!

    http://renuka-mytraveldiary.blogspot.in/2013/03/nainital-lucerne-of-india.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Renuka... unfortunately, few people are aware of this!

      Delete
  6. Nice photos Anu ! I could relive my time spent there two years back. The dome white earlier. I have been to this fort along with a visit to Sewri jetty and the condition of the fort is indeed dilapidated.

    I have written how I felt about it here. You can compare photos also. :)
    http://www.lemonicks.com/Travel/2010/06/15/sewri-fort-mumbai/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nisha! I did read your post.... saw it before I went, actually :D

      Delete
  7. Nice photographs. I am happy that most of the things are in tact (even if restored without application of mind). Last year I could only visit Sion fort. My remarks made earlier (yesterday) seems to have failed to register.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks PNS. i am so sorry your earlier comment wasnt registered... seems like the kinks in the comment are still there :(

      Delete
  8. I have been to Sewri Fort. It was an amazing experience to see so many Flamingo. Overall great job with your post just reading it refreshed my memory.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have visited the Castella de Aguada or the Bandra Fort saw the same signs of restoration as the Sewri Fort. Let's do a deal - you take me to Sewri Fort and I'll take you to Bandra Fort, and then we'll explore the other remaining forts together. What say?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice...!! I went to India last with a wonderful offer of xclusivevacations.com and I enjoyed my trip thoroughly. The forts and palaces in Rajasthan are spellbinding and the arrangements made by my tour operator were even better than my expectations as the cost was quite less. I would like to visit India again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful to know about this fort. Nice to know about 11 forts around Mumbai . Flamingos of Sewri are also interesting .

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was really good to read this post. For all the years of growing up in Bombay, I didn't know about this fort. Some of the details seen in your photos are really interesting and would have loved to check out the view from there! We lived in Sion, so know the Sion Fort since we'd go up there often during our summer vacations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kiran! I didnt know about this one earlier, either.. and sadly, I wasnt aware of the Sion fort for a long time either.. and still havent been there :(

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by. Please leave a comment for me so that I will know you have been here....

Popular posts from this blog

Gokarna Part II – The Five Lingams

We continued our Gokarna trip by visiting four other Shiva temples in the vicinity, all connected to the same story of Gokarna. The story of Gokarna mentions the Mahabaleshwara Lingam as the one brought from Kailas by Ravana, and kept at this place on the ground by Ganesha. (See my earlier post- Gokarna – Pilgrimage and Pleasure). However, the story does not end here. It is believed that, in his anger, Ravana flung aside the materials which covered the lingam- the casket, its lid, the string around the lingam, and the cloth covering it. All these items became lingams as soon as they touched the ground. These four lingams, along with the main Mahabaleshwara lingam are collectively called the ‘ Panchalingams’ . These are: Mahabaleshwara – the main lingam Sajjeshwar – the casket carrying the lingam. This temple is about 35 Kms from Karwar, and is a 2 hour drive from Gokarna. Dhareshwar – the string covering the lingam. This temple is on NH17, about 45 Kms south of Gokarna. Gunavanteshw

Rama Temple, Gokarna

To my right , the waves rush to the shore, eager to merge with the sand. To my left, the same waves crash against the rocks, their spray diverting my reverie as I ponder over the beauty of nature, and wonder what first brought people here. Was it this beauty that encouraged them to build a temple here, or was it the fresh, sweet spring water flowing from the hill here that made this place special? No matter what the reason, I am glad my auto driver brought me here. We are at the Rama temple in Gokarna, just a few minutes away from the Mahabaleshwara Temple, yet offering so different a perspective.

Pandharpur Yatra 2023

The first time I visited Pandharpur was back in 2007 . The names Vitthal and Pandharpur, were just names to me. I had heard of them, but that was about it. Seeing the lord standing on the brick, hands on his hips, was memorable, but more memorable was the sight that greeted us as we walked out of the main sanctum of the temple. In the mandap just outside were a group of devotees singing abhangs , and dancing. This was the first time I had heard abhangs , and even almost 15 years later, I can remember the welling of feeling within me, listening to the songs, and how fascinated I was by the sight of the devotees dancing, lost in their love of the Lord. Over the years, as I have read more about Vitthal, and participated in Ashadi Ekadashi programmes at Puttaparthi, that first experience has stayed clear in my mind and heart. Every time I tell my Balvikas students of the saints who sang of Vitthala, it is that experience that I re-live. I visited Pandharpur again, in 2010, but that experie