Skip to main content

Featured Post

2023 - The Year That Was

Places impact you for a variety of reasons. And the same place impacts different people in different ways. This is especially true when it comes to spiritual experiences, where every single person’s experience is unique. And personally, every spiritual experience is unique, the same person can have different deeply spiritual experiences at different places, at different times. This thought has emerged because of my own experiences over the years, but especially so this year, with different and unique experiences at various places I have visited recently. I began this year with a visit to Baroda (Vadodara) with friends. It was meant to be a relaxed trip, a touristy trip, with our sons. We enjoyed ourselves to the hilt, but the highlight of that trip was a visit to the Lakulisha temple at Pavagadh. It was the iconography of the temple that I connected with, and I spent a few hours simply lost in the details of the figures carved around the temple. There was an indefinable connect with

Omkareshwara Temple, Coorg : A Story and some Thoughts

Kings misusing their power is nothing new, neither in our epics, our history, or even the present. Of course, in the present, the kings are replaced by those in power, but, I digress. Getting back to my story, learning of a king committing outrageous acts is nothing new. Leaning that he killed innocent people is nothing new either, and we would scarcely lift an eyebrow. However, when the spirit of the innocent victim plagues the king, we sit up and take note! That is what makes the story of the Omkareshwara Temple in Coorg interesting.




It was Lingarajendra II, the ruler of Kodagu in the early 1800s, who killed an innocent Brahmin. The reason for the killing isn’t clear. It is mentioned on a plaque in the temple that the man opposed the king’s misdeeds. I also read in a book that the king coveted the Brahmin’s daughter. Whatever the reason, the king spilt an innocent man’s blood. However, the victim was tenacious, even after death, turning into a Brahmarakshas (spirit) and troubling the king. It was easy for Lingarajendra to kill the Brahmin, but he couldn’t cope with the supernatural, and he turned instead to more Brahmins – learned ones, who told him that the only way he could be rid of the spirit was by getting a special lingam from Kashi (Varanasi) and installing it at the spot where he had killed the Brahmin. That was something the king could do. He arranged for a lingam to be brought from Kashi and installed at the very spot. The temple was built and consecrated in 1820, and, it is said, that the spirit troubled him no more!


Interestingly, the temple is built in Islamic style, the dome and minarets towering over the tiled roofs of the city. Inside, the temple is simple, with the shrine holding the main lingam surrounded by one corridor. Opposite the temple is a pond, with a small shrine in the centre, connected by a causeway. There are plenty of fish in the pond, which are a huge attraction for children.



It was late evening when we visited, and a puja was just getting completed. There was all the evidence of a busy temple – bells ringing, the sound of chanting, and the hum of the crowd. It was all over in a few moments, and, by the time we went around the sanctum once, we found that we were the only ones there. At once, it seemed we were in a different time and place – there was calm, peaceful, utter silence.



Standing there in front of the lingam, I wondered about journeys – my own journey, from Mumbai to Coorg, to see Him, He who had once made the journey from Kashi to Kodagu. My journeys bring me peace and happiness, but His journey had brought peace to someone else. Now, whether he deserved it, is another matter entirely!

The temple might have brought some relief to Lingarajendra, but he didn’t live long enough to reap the benefits of the temple. He passed away soon after, and the throne passed to his son, who turned out to be even more cruel than his father. However, the dynasty had little time left in power, for, scarcely 14 years later, in 1834, the British took complete control over Kodagu.


Misdeeds are never forgiven or forgotten, are they? Can they be atoned by building temples or performing sacrifices? What do you think?

Information: 
  • The temple is located in Madikeri Town. 
  • Timings: 6:30 AM to 12:00 Noon; 5:00 PM to 8:00 PM

Comments

  1. Loved reading it. The pics are amazing

    ReplyDelete
  2. This Post Explain How Rich Is our history, The Post Is good.
    just One Question I would Like To ask You Is your Cover Picture Is Of Which Place???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome images, great information

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful place
    Greetings http://kolorywogrodzie.blog.onet.pl

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice temple. Though I have been to Coorg many times, am yet to visit this temple.

    http://rajniranjandas.blogspot.in/2013/10/mom-i.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting. It is queer to find a temple in Islamic style!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome post and nice images!!

    You are writing about Omkareshwara Temple, Coorg. Thanks for Sharing such a nice information its very interesting!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well I don't know what to say, if its the power of the place or that bad spirit of the king passed on to others. I had a very bad experience when I visited this temple few years ago. Me along with 9 other "non-kannadiga" friends had been to coorg . This was a photography trip for us (basically to learn & experiment on photography). This temple was recommended by one of my colleague who was from this place. We entered the temple premises & searched for any "No-photography" board. The temple was closed & we had access only to walk around the temple pond. It was noon & no a soul around, we started taking photos & experimenting on photography. All of a sudden a man came, who claimed to be temple priest, started shouting & abusing us for taking photos. As I was the only one who knew kannada, I tried to explain him & say that we are just photo enthusiasts and nothing else. Also I said we did not find any "No photography" board, so we started taking photos. That guy continued to abuse us in bad language & also threatened to beat us with help of locals. We some how managed to get out of that place. It was a very bad experience. I really lost respect for locals of that place because of this idiot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a muslim & respect all faith. Interesting to know about this unique temple. I was googling for something else but ended up here & learning abt this temple. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did visit this temple and found the architecture amusing due to its Islamic influences.

    Rathina's View Space

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good to know. Thanks for the info....I'm travelling to coorg in August. I'll definitely visit this temple :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by. Please leave a comment for me so that I will know you have been here....

Popular posts from this blog

Gokarna Part II – The Five Lingams

We continued our Gokarna trip by visiting four other Shiva temples in the vicinity, all connected to the same story of Gokarna. The story of Gokarna mentions the Mahabaleshwara Lingam as the one brought from Kailas by Ravana, and kept at this place on the ground by Ganesha. (See my earlier post- Gokarna – Pilgrimage and Pleasure). However, the story does not end here. It is believed that, in his anger, Ravana flung aside the materials which covered the lingam- the casket, its lid, the string around the lingam, and the cloth covering it. All these items became lingams as soon as they touched the ground. These four lingams, along with the main Mahabaleshwara lingam are collectively called the ‘ Panchalingams’ . These are: Mahabaleshwara – the main lingam Sajjeshwar – the casket carrying the lingam. This temple is about 35 Kms from Karwar, and is a 2 hour drive from Gokarna. Dhareshwar – the string covering the lingam. This temple is on NH17, about 45 Kms south of Gokarna. Gunavanteshw

Rama Temple, Gokarna

To my right , the waves rush to the shore, eager to merge with the sand. To my left, the same waves crash against the rocks, their spray diverting my reverie as I ponder over the beauty of nature, and wonder what first brought people here. Was it this beauty that encouraged them to build a temple here, or was it the fresh, sweet spring water flowing from the hill here that made this place special? No matter what the reason, I am glad my auto driver brought me here. We are at the Rama temple in Gokarna, just a few minutes away from the Mahabaleshwara Temple, yet offering so different a perspective.

Pandharpur Yatra 2023

The first time I visited Pandharpur was back in 2007 . The names Vitthal and Pandharpur, were just names to me. I had heard of them, but that was about it. Seeing the lord standing on the brick, hands on his hips, was memorable, but more memorable was the sight that greeted us as we walked out of the main sanctum of the temple. In the mandap just outside were a group of devotees singing abhangs , and dancing. This was the first time I had heard abhangs , and even almost 15 years later, I can remember the welling of feeling within me, listening to the songs, and how fascinated I was by the sight of the devotees dancing, lost in their love of the Lord. Over the years, as I have read more about Vitthal, and participated in Ashadi Ekadashi programmes at Puttaparthi, that first experience has stayed clear in my mind and heart. Every time I tell my Balvikas students of the saints who sang of Vitthala, it is that experience that I re-live. I visited Pandharpur again, in 2010, but that experie