Skip to main content

Featured Post

2023 - The Year That Was

Places impact you for a variety of reasons. And the same place impacts different people in different ways. This is especially true when it comes to spiritual experiences, where every single person’s experience is unique. And personally, every spiritual experience is unique, the same person can have different deeply spiritual experiences at different places, at different times. This thought has emerged because of my own experiences over the years, but especially so this year, with different and unique experiences at various places I have visited recently. I began this year with a visit to Baroda (Vadodara) with friends. It was meant to be a relaxed trip, a touristy trip, with our sons. We enjoyed ourselves to the hilt, but the highlight of that trip was a visit to the Lakulisha temple at Pavagadh. It was the iconography of the temple that I connected with, and I spent a few hours simply lost in the details of the figures carved around the temple. There was an indefinable connect with

Skywatch Friday - Lonar Crater Lake

For Skywatch Friday today is a place I havent been able to get out of my mind since I returned from my Diwali trip... the Lonar Crater....





This photo was taken from the banks of the crater lake... the reflection of the mountains surrounding it and the sky, in the green waters of the lake was just too beautiful for words... the temple in the middle just added to the beauty... Look out for more detailed posts on Lonar in the next few days!



Lonar crater

The crater at Lonar is the third largest crater in the world, formed when a meteorite fell on earth about 50,000 years ago.

Location: The crater is located on the outskirts of the village Lonar in the Buldana District of Maharashtra.
  • The nearest airport is at Aurangabad, 122 Km away.
  • The nearest railway station is Jalna, 90 Km away.
  • The nearest bus stand is at Lonar, which is well connected to Jalna as well as Aurangabad.

Where to stay: There are a few hotels and lodges in Lonar, but the best option is to stay at the MTDC resort which overlooks the crater. 







Comments

  1. Nice capture.

    www.rajniranjandas.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never been there! Lovely capture Anu :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOu should go there, Arti! Its beautiful and so serene!

      Delete
  3. THanks so much, Liz! Happy skywatching to you too

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello: I discovered your blog when I was looking for information on Hampi. I loved ur posts on Hampi which I intend to visit soon. I have now started to follow ur other posts too. This one for Lonar Crater was eye opening. I had no idea we had a crater lake in India.

    Can you put more details about your journey to Lonar? For example, what activities are available and how many days were you able to spend there etc. I would greatly appreciate it.

    I have recently moved to Pune and hence have been looking to explore Maharashtra. Thanks for all your posts.

    Shekhar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Shekhar! Hope you keep coming back and find more interesting things to read about and visit. About Lonar, a detailed post is coming up soon!

      Delete
  5. We also visited Lonar during a Diwali holiday. Guess you had a nice and quiet Diwali :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Bindhu, we certainly did!!! and your blog was a great help.. been wanting to visit ever since i read about it there... and finally did! Yaaay!!

      Delete
  6. I have heard of this place from Vinni, but this picture completed the imagery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zephyr!! hope you like the pics which are yet to come too.. and its a beautiful place! the next time u are here, make some time for Lonar... get the L&M to get away for a while... and both of u will have a memorable trip :D

      Delete
  7. Lovely photo. I had no idea about the Crater Lake. Sometimes such amazing things of nature come that make us really spellbound. Wated to read the detailed post on the Lake

    ReplyDelete
  8. For a once-upon-a-time geologist, I have yet to visit Lonar. :-( Looking forward to reading all about Lonar in one of your forthcoming posts.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by. Please leave a comment for me so that I will know you have been here....

Popular posts from this blog

Gokarna Part II – The Five Lingams

We continued our Gokarna trip by visiting four other Shiva temples in the vicinity, all connected to the same story of Gokarna. The story of Gokarna mentions the Mahabaleshwara Lingam as the one brought from Kailas by Ravana, and kept at this place on the ground by Ganesha. (See my earlier post- Gokarna – Pilgrimage and Pleasure). However, the story does not end here. It is believed that, in his anger, Ravana flung aside the materials which covered the lingam- the casket, its lid, the string around the lingam, and the cloth covering it. All these items became lingams as soon as they touched the ground. These four lingams, along with the main Mahabaleshwara lingam are collectively called the ‘ Panchalingams’ . These are: Mahabaleshwara – the main lingam Sajjeshwar – the casket carrying the lingam. This temple is about 35 Kms from Karwar, and is a 2 hour drive from Gokarna. Dhareshwar – the string covering the lingam. This temple is on NH17, about 45 Kms south of Gokarna. Gunavanteshw

Rama Temple, Gokarna

To my right , the waves rush to the shore, eager to merge with the sand. To my left, the same waves crash against the rocks, their spray diverting my reverie as I ponder over the beauty of nature, and wonder what first brought people here. Was it this beauty that encouraged them to build a temple here, or was it the fresh, sweet spring water flowing from the hill here that made this place special? No matter what the reason, I am glad my auto driver brought me here. We are at the Rama temple in Gokarna, just a few minutes away from the Mahabaleshwara Temple, yet offering so different a perspective.

Pandharpur Yatra 2023

The first time I visited Pandharpur was back in 2007 . The names Vitthal and Pandharpur, were just names to me. I had heard of them, but that was about it. Seeing the lord standing on the brick, hands on his hips, was memorable, but more memorable was the sight that greeted us as we walked out of the main sanctum of the temple. In the mandap just outside were a group of devotees singing abhangs , and dancing. This was the first time I had heard abhangs , and even almost 15 years later, I can remember the welling of feeling within me, listening to the songs, and how fascinated I was by the sight of the devotees dancing, lost in their love of the Lord. Over the years, as I have read more about Vitthal, and participated in Ashadi Ekadashi programmes at Puttaparthi, that first experience has stayed clear in my mind and heart. Every time I tell my Balvikas students of the saints who sang of Vitthala, it is that experience that I re-live. I visited Pandharpur again, in 2010, but that experie