Skip to main content

Featured Post

2023 - The Year That Was

Places impact you for a variety of reasons. And the same place impacts different people in different ways. This is especially true when it comes to spiritual experiences, where every single person’s experience is unique. And personally, every spiritual experience is unique, the same person can have different deeply spiritual experiences at different places, at different times. This thought has emerged because of my own experiences over the years, but especially so this year, with different and unique experiences at various places I have visited recently. I began this year with a visit to Baroda (Vadodara) with friends. It was meant to be a relaxed trip, a touristy trip, with our sons. We enjoyed ourselves to the hilt, but the highlight of that trip was a visit to the Lakulisha temple at Pavagadh. It was the iconography of the temple that I connected with, and I spent a few hours simply lost in the details of the figures carved around the temple. There was an indefinable connect with

Kala Ghoda Arts Festival - Part 1


I have been attending the Kala Ghoda Arts Festival since its inception in 1999. I was then fresh out of college, had time on my hands, and I loved the opportunity to experience something as different as an Arts Festival in Mumbai. Over the years, I have seen the festival grow, become more popular, the addition of a variety of events offering something of interest to people of all ages. And I have enjoyed attending the festival, year after year..... Discovering something new each time, and of late, opening up an entire new world of art and creativity to my son. I still love attending the festival, and look forward to it each year, but it gives me even more pleasure when my 9 year old son opens the newspaper and yells out – “Amma, the Kala Ghoda festival has started! When are you taking me?”

A beautiful installation with colourful butterflies 




And thus it was, that we spent the weekend at the KGAF.... Saturday was fun, because the crowds hadn’t set in, and we were able to enjoy and appreciate the installations in relative peace.

A note about the art installations... we loved them! They seem to be much better than the ones last year, or maybe it was just that we could peacefully go through them, without being elbowed and bumped into every other minute. However, the disadvantage of being so early was that most of the display information boards weren’t up, and we had to imagine what they stood for. Of course, we enjoyed that too!

Skulls seemed to be the order of the day – probably quite natural, considering the state of our country these days.....



And Samhith, for one, loved looking out for them... and here are some...



Can you count the number of skulls in this one???


This huge one, at Rampart Row, was his favourite. Why? Because it spouted smoke!!! Kids were drawn to it, wondering where the smoke came from, and no one stopped them from approaching it, and tugging on the wires hanging about, hoping it would make the smoke spew out again!



The Kala Ghoda was nowhere to be seen... its place was taken by a Kali Bail.. the black bull... (photo courtesy Sudha Ganapathy, since I didn't get a single decent image)



And there was this horse... or rather, horses... made with packaging material...




Among the others, the installations of vehicles were wonderful too....our favourite was the Vespa....





The installations representing auto rickshaws were just as interesting.



Our heart skips a beat these days as the meter plunks another unit... the increase in auto fares have affected us badly... 



But it has affected the auto drivers too, who struggle to eke a living, as this installation shows...



This one, on the other hand, shows the humble auto as a vehicle of dreams.... after all, this is the city of dreams!



This one cautioned people against talking on the mobile while driving....





And, finally, among the vehicles, this was certainly the simplest, but also the best....



And that was just the beginning. There was so much more to see and enjoy.... to see the rest, come back to the blog tomorrow for some more pics from Kala Ghoda...

These photos are meant for those of you who don’t live in Mumbai, and can’t visit the festival. For those of you who do live in Mumbai, get off from the computer and go, see the sights for yourself.... Here is a link to the complete event schedule...


I shall be at Kala Ghoda again, tomorrow – Tuesday (5th Feb) and maybe Saturday (9th Feb) as well, so if you are in the area, give me a shout, and let’s meet!



Comments

  1. Hey Anu,
    We too enjoyed the installations very much. But the best was rope walker. He was really amazing and displayed wonderful balancing...
    Waiting for the next part...
    Sonal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we didnt go for that, Sonal. it was just too crowded.. enjoyed more on saturday when it was empty :D and anyways, we have seen rope walkers before... more peacefully!

      Delete
  2. HEyyy nice Anuradha ji. I been to Kala Ghoda fest on its opening day that too lil early when stalls were being installed and crowd was less... it was nice to capture the art without crowd. will upload my pics soon.

    well liked ur post... keep updating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vijay! I guess we might have been there at the same time! I was there while the stalls were being installed... thats the only way we can avoid the crowds that turn up these days!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Yes, Arun! the art installations are wonderful this year!

      Delete
  4. This was something I had heard of but never been to one before. Thanks for the lovely captures. Art and creativity rocks.Waiting for the next part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next year, plan a trip to Mumbai around this time!

      Delete
  5. And I haven't been there even once! Always out of town. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. We haven't missed it ever since we came to Mumbai. We were there yesterday evening and it was very crowded, as expected. I may come tomorrow; will buzz you.

    Nice shots! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! what an event!
    Great captures from there.
    Saw plenty of shots from other FB friends too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As usual, your photographs and text are superb. My favourite installations were the butterflies, the bull and the horse. The skulls... not so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice blog really conevred some good installations of the KGAF 2013 Keep it up

    Do you know who made the Bull installation it looks nice and colourful

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by. Please leave a comment for me so that I will know you have been here....

Popular posts from this blog

Gokarna Part II – The Five Lingams

We continued our Gokarna trip by visiting four other Shiva temples in the vicinity, all connected to the same story of Gokarna. The story of Gokarna mentions the Mahabaleshwara Lingam as the one brought from Kailas by Ravana, and kept at this place on the ground by Ganesha. (See my earlier post- Gokarna – Pilgrimage and Pleasure). However, the story does not end here. It is believed that, in his anger, Ravana flung aside the materials which covered the lingam- the casket, its lid, the string around the lingam, and the cloth covering it. All these items became lingams as soon as they touched the ground. These four lingams, along with the main Mahabaleshwara lingam are collectively called the ‘ Panchalingams’ . These are: Mahabaleshwara – the main lingam Sajjeshwar – the casket carrying the lingam. This temple is about 35 Kms from Karwar, and is a 2 hour drive from Gokarna. Dhareshwar – the string covering the lingam. This temple is on NH17, about 45 Kms south of Gokarna. Gunavanteshw

Rama Temple, Gokarna

To my right , the waves rush to the shore, eager to merge with the sand. To my left, the same waves crash against the rocks, their spray diverting my reverie as I ponder over the beauty of nature, and wonder what first brought people here. Was it this beauty that encouraged them to build a temple here, or was it the fresh, sweet spring water flowing from the hill here that made this place special? No matter what the reason, I am glad my auto driver brought me here. We are at the Rama temple in Gokarna, just a few minutes away from the Mahabaleshwara Temple, yet offering so different a perspective.

Pandharpur Yatra 2023

The first time I visited Pandharpur was back in 2007 . The names Vitthal and Pandharpur, were just names to me. I had heard of them, but that was about it. Seeing the lord standing on the brick, hands on his hips, was memorable, but more memorable was the sight that greeted us as we walked out of the main sanctum of the temple. In the mandap just outside were a group of devotees singing abhangs , and dancing. This was the first time I had heard abhangs , and even almost 15 years later, I can remember the welling of feeling within me, listening to the songs, and how fascinated I was by the sight of the devotees dancing, lost in their love of the Lord. Over the years, as I have read more about Vitthal, and participated in Ashadi Ekadashi programmes at Puttaparthi, that first experience has stayed clear in my mind and heart. Every time I tell my Balvikas students of the saints who sang of Vitthala, it is that experience that I re-live. I visited Pandharpur again, in 2010, but that experie