Skip to main content

Featured Post

2023 - The Year That Was

Places impact you for a variety of reasons. And the same place impacts different people in different ways. This is especially true when it comes to spiritual experiences, where every single person’s experience is unique. And personally, every spiritual experience is unique, the same person can have different deeply spiritual experiences at different places, at different times. This thought has emerged because of my own experiences over the years, but especially so this year, with different and unique experiences at various places I have visited recently. I began this year with a visit to Baroda (Vadodara) with friends. It was meant to be a relaxed trip, a touristy trip, with our sons. We enjoyed ourselves to the hilt, but the highlight of that trip was a visit to the Lakulisha temple at Pavagadh. It was the iconography of the temple that I connected with, and I spent a few hours simply lost in the details of the figures carved around the temple. There was an indefinable connect with

Of Books and The Sunday Book Club


As a book lover, I need the least of inducements to talk of books. The people I get along best with are those with whom I can converse about books. In my family, I am the one who wants books as gifts, and also gifts nothing but books! 




Thus, when I heard of The Sunday Book Club (TSBC in short) from Sudha, I was thrilled. I had been on twitter for a long time, but had not really been able to join in many conversations. Here was a chance for me to actually be a part of something interesting. But then came trouble in paradise. Sunday afternoons aren’t the best time for me, with the whole family at home, sometimes even guests, with lunch almost always so late, that it clashed with #TSBC. I was thus reduced once again to be a silent spectator, lurking around, going over the interesting conversations, but much after they were over. The only time I had a chance at participating was when I was travelling, but my mobile network refused support, and there I was, not able to connect. And thus it continued, and I despaired of ever participating in all those enthusiastic discussions based on some of my favourite topics.

And then, a couple of weeks back, by some sort of miracle, I  suddenly found myself free a little earlier than usual, lunch done, chores completed. I glanced at the watch, and it was just about to strike 3.... TSBC was about to begin, and I could participate at last!!!!! Hubby was having a nap and Samhith was busy with his stamps. I sternly cautioned him against disturbing me for the next hour, and headed to the comp, all set to have an hour to myself, to do what I loved best – talk about books. The icing on the cake was the topic for the day – Mythology, a topic I can never stop talking about!

So it was, that the next hour passed by, in a sort of dream, and so fast that I scarcely noticed the passage of time, so engrossed was I in the discussions, and so painfully aware of how little I had actually read L. The discussions continued, way past the time allotted, such was the enthusiasm. By the time I turned away from my Twitter Timeline to turn my attention to Samhith once more, I had gained so much – a long list of books I wanted to read, a bunch of new friends whom I hadn’t even heard of, before that hour, and above all, I was one of the winners of the TSBC giveaway – ‘Govinda’ by Krishna Udayshankar! It was surely one of my best Sundays, ever!

It has been two weeks since then, and two more topics have been endlessly discussed. The book I won has been delivered, courtesy, Hachette India, and has already been read, leading to a lot of work at home left incomplete! This is seriously not the right time for any of you to visit my home, such is the state of affairs considering my love affair with books, which has been taken to completely new heights, all thanks to #TSBC.

This post originally began as an introduction to my review of the book, but as usual, once I began I couldn’t stop myself, and this has led to too many words, and thus an entire post on TSBC. The book review itself will soon be up... or rather, as soon as I finish reading it once again! Meanwhile, if you are a book lover, or even if you would like to read more, TSBC is the place to be, on Sunday afternoons, from 3 to 4. 


Comments

  1. I can see your shelves are overflowing with books. :)
    We have started unpacking ours but seriously there is no place to keep them all.

    And like you, I can also not make it for Sunday TSBC chat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nisha, if you say that, with your nice, new, big house, you can imagine the situation at mine!!!!! and sunday is a big prob indeed, but after that one time, i have now realised that the discussion goes on all thru the week.. join in sometime and enjoy the fun!

      Delete
  2. Never heard about TSBC. Will check it out. Thanks, Anu. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would love to see u on twitter, Bindhu... but they are on Fb too.. and if u miss it, u can answer the questions later on their page :D

      Delete
  3. Anu, a very belated but heartfelt thanks for this wonderful post on #TSBC. It is thanks to people like you that it has become what it is today. Thank you on behalf of my co-founders as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are welcome, Sudha! and it was a pleasure to write about something I enjoy so much.... and after getting such a wonderful book, how could I not write about it?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by. Please leave a comment for me so that I will know you have been here....

Popular posts from this blog

Gokarna Part II – The Five Lingams

We continued our Gokarna trip by visiting four other Shiva temples in the vicinity, all connected to the same story of Gokarna. The story of Gokarna mentions the Mahabaleshwara Lingam as the one brought from Kailas by Ravana, and kept at this place on the ground by Ganesha. (See my earlier post- Gokarna – Pilgrimage and Pleasure). However, the story does not end here. It is believed that, in his anger, Ravana flung aside the materials which covered the lingam- the casket, its lid, the string around the lingam, and the cloth covering it. All these items became lingams as soon as they touched the ground. These four lingams, along with the main Mahabaleshwara lingam are collectively called the ‘ Panchalingams’ . These are: Mahabaleshwara – the main lingam Sajjeshwar – the casket carrying the lingam. This temple is about 35 Kms from Karwar, and is a 2 hour drive from Gokarna. Dhareshwar – the string covering the lingam. This temple is on NH17, about 45 Kms south of Gokarna. Gunavanteshw

Rama Temple, Gokarna

To my right , the waves rush to the shore, eager to merge with the sand. To my left, the same waves crash against the rocks, their spray diverting my reverie as I ponder over the beauty of nature, and wonder what first brought people here. Was it this beauty that encouraged them to build a temple here, or was it the fresh, sweet spring water flowing from the hill here that made this place special? No matter what the reason, I am glad my auto driver brought me here. We are at the Rama temple in Gokarna, just a few minutes away from the Mahabaleshwara Temple, yet offering so different a perspective.

Pandharpur Yatra 2023

The first time I visited Pandharpur was back in 2007 . The names Vitthal and Pandharpur, were just names to me. I had heard of them, but that was about it. Seeing the lord standing on the brick, hands on his hips, was memorable, but more memorable was the sight that greeted us as we walked out of the main sanctum of the temple. In the mandap just outside were a group of devotees singing abhangs , and dancing. This was the first time I had heard abhangs , and even almost 15 years later, I can remember the welling of feeling within me, listening to the songs, and how fascinated I was by the sight of the devotees dancing, lost in their love of the Lord. Over the years, as I have read more about Vitthal, and participated in Ashadi Ekadashi programmes at Puttaparthi, that first experience has stayed clear in my mind and heart. Every time I tell my Balvikas students of the saints who sang of Vitthala, it is that experience that I re-live. I visited Pandharpur again, in 2010, but that experie