Skip to main content

Featured Post

2023 - The Year That Was

Places impact you for a variety of reasons. And the same place impacts different people in different ways. This is especially true when it comes to spiritual experiences, where every single person’s experience is unique. And personally, every spiritual experience is unique, the same person can have different deeply spiritual experiences at different places, at different times. This thought has emerged because of my own experiences over the years, but especially so this year, with different and unique experiences at various places I have visited recently. I began this year with a visit to Baroda (Vadodara) with friends. It was meant to be a relaxed trip, a touristy trip, with our sons. We enjoyed ourselves to the hilt, but the highlight of that trip was a visit to the Lakulisha temple at Pavagadh. It was the iconography of the temple that I connected with, and I spent a few hours simply lost in the details of the figures carved around the temple. There was an indefinable connect with

A much - awaited golu

He is a person, who, when he travels, looks, not just at sights, but at houses, temples, roads, pavements, streetlights, roofs, walls... you get the idea! He notices details which escape most of us, and, also unlike most of us, he remembers, and uses, most of what he notices. He comes back from a trip filled with ideas, which he then proceeds to re-create, in his own special way - for the year's Golu. 


He is Mr. P.E.P. Swamy, of Garodia Nagar. We happen to be distantly related, and it was a mutual relative who first introduced me to his creations. Since then, our mutual interest in Golus has taken us to his home each year, eager to see his new creations. His is one house to which Samhith comes along, happily, without the least bit of argument. His is also probably the one house where Samhith stands quietly and notices details, without running around, touching everything in sight. The reason is of, course, Mr.Swamy's meticulous work and his attention to detail, which make his Golu such an interesting sight. 



This year, the focus of his golu is on a Sabha in our locality. He has created a replica of their building, among other things.




The building is deceptively simple. It is only when you look in that you realize how perfectly he has replicated it! That is something I can not show you with my camera. You have to see it for yourself! 



Also on display are a couple of other buildings - his masterpieces, I should say! 



This see through house is so perfect in every detail. He made it some years back, but we never tire of looking at it. Whether it is the bathrooms or the wall paper, or the bookshelf or the puja section; whether it is the lights or the fans, he has taken every detail into account. It makes us wish we had a house like that to live in! 







And then there is this.... at the risk of repeating myself, I cant find a better word than 'masterpiece'!






While it is Mr. Swamy who makes these beautiful works of art, his wife is an equal and enthusiastic participant. She is in charge of the lower section of the golu, which is the more traditional kind. Here is the main golu - the steps. 


And here is the side-arrangement



The central set up here is of Jala-Krida, or Ras Leela in the water with Krishna and the gopis. 



Surrounding it is a typical Indian village.... and village scenes......








One of the reasons which draws Samhith again and again to their house are the conversations he has with Mrs. Swamy. She is able to explain in a manner he understands, the methods used to create these beautiful works of art, which makes her one of a kind! He enthusiasm is infectious, and we come back, bursting with ideas! 

I usually visit their house later during the festival, since that is when I am free. However, each year, after I write about it, I get loads of mails from readers asking me for their contact details, and if I can take them along to see this golu for themselves. Usually, it doesn't work out, mostly due to lack of time, which is the reason I am writing this post earlier this year. If you want to visit, please drop me a line, either on email, Facebook, or Twitter, and I will send you their contact details. For obvious reasons, I cannot post the details here. 

I have posted photos of Mr.Swamy's golus earlier.... in 2012, 2011 and 2010. Click on the years to see the individual posts. 

Comments

  1. Amazing. Will share this with Varun today. He is getting hooked on to golus and Varsha guides me and Varun with information that she pickes up from everywhere and then we start work on it. The tradition of keeping golu at home is a university by itself, It kindles curiosity, enhances observation power, engages your creativity and builds a team spirit.
    Wow Anu, People like Mr.Swamy deserve more recognition. Hats off to him and thanks to you for giving cyber visibility to such people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Aparna!!! You have hit the nail on the head, as usual! there are so many advantages to keeping a golu... and most of all, it makes the festival so much more fun! would love to hear Varun's thoughts on this golu.... thats another thing he and samhith have in common, i guess... i can so imagine varsha picking up info! so like her!

      Delete
  2. This is amazing, I would love to visit this golu too. Wil send you a request mail for the contact detail..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Asia Explore Adventure & Travel is founded by the dedicated explorers and professional Team to operate the luxurious holiday tour and explore the incredible attractions to the various country of Nepal, Bhutan, Tibet and India.We are operating, classic tours, cultural &historical tours, leisure holiday tours,MICE,training& conference tours, Mercedes Benz terrain coach tours, outdoor adventure tours (trekking, hiking, outdoor camping, jungle safari, white water rafting, paragliding etc.), air/helicopter charters, special custom made itinerary tours for outbound travel agencies and provide “one time shop” services to our customers.
    Trekking in Nepal
    Annapurna Base Camp Trek
    Everest Base Camp Trek
    Langtang Valley Trek
    Mount Kailash Tours
    Kanchenjunga Trek

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah give me the details and the price i mean if anyone wants to plan budget for diwali vacation so please share the details of this place.

    translator | translation service

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow this week will be a feast in ur blog :) i been waiting to read all the posts :)

    I loved his details, reminds me of amsterdam, miniature town. I feel the park is bit crowded. Some of the dolls were intersting from the village scene but there is just too much happening at the same place.

    Otherwise I find the golu very intersting and well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Sri. Unfortunately, thanks to Samhiths exams, there isnt really going to be a feast everyday :( only as often as i actually go out and see some golus :D as to this one, yes, the village scene is cluttered, because the aunty had less space this time to make her stuff :( space crunch, as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG...hats off to his passion. How meticulously these are created. I'm stunned! Thanks for sharing.Loved that see through house.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing! Would be nice to learn how he makes them!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by. Please leave a comment for me so that I will know you have been here....

Popular posts from this blog

Gokarna Part II – The Five Lingams

We continued our Gokarna trip by visiting four other Shiva temples in the vicinity, all connected to the same story of Gokarna. The story of Gokarna mentions the Mahabaleshwara Lingam as the one brought from Kailas by Ravana, and kept at this place on the ground by Ganesha. (See my earlier post- Gokarna – Pilgrimage and Pleasure). However, the story does not end here. It is believed that, in his anger, Ravana flung aside the materials which covered the lingam- the casket, its lid, the string around the lingam, and the cloth covering it. All these items became lingams as soon as they touched the ground. These four lingams, along with the main Mahabaleshwara lingam are collectively called the ‘ Panchalingams’ . These are: Mahabaleshwara – the main lingam Sajjeshwar – the casket carrying the lingam. This temple is about 35 Kms from Karwar, and is a 2 hour drive from Gokarna. Dhareshwar – the string covering the lingam. This temple is on NH17, about 45 Kms south of Gokarna. Gunavanteshw

Rama Temple, Gokarna

To my right , the waves rush to the shore, eager to merge with the sand. To my left, the same waves crash against the rocks, their spray diverting my reverie as I ponder over the beauty of nature, and wonder what first brought people here. Was it this beauty that encouraged them to build a temple here, or was it the fresh, sweet spring water flowing from the hill here that made this place special? No matter what the reason, I am glad my auto driver brought me here. We are at the Rama temple in Gokarna, just a few minutes away from the Mahabaleshwara Temple, yet offering so different a perspective.

Pandharpur Yatra 2023

The first time I visited Pandharpur was back in 2007 . The names Vitthal and Pandharpur, were just names to me. I had heard of them, but that was about it. Seeing the lord standing on the brick, hands on his hips, was memorable, but more memorable was the sight that greeted us as we walked out of the main sanctum of the temple. In the mandap just outside were a group of devotees singing abhangs , and dancing. This was the first time I had heard abhangs , and even almost 15 years later, I can remember the welling of feeling within me, listening to the songs, and how fascinated I was by the sight of the devotees dancing, lost in their love of the Lord. Over the years, as I have read more about Vitthal, and participated in Ashadi Ekadashi programmes at Puttaparthi, that first experience has stayed clear in my mind and heart. Every time I tell my Balvikas students of the saints who sang of Vitthala, it is that experience that I re-live. I visited Pandharpur again, in 2010, but that experie